Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Band of Brothers : my heroes

As some people must have noticed, I have this little thing (called fascination) about the World War II. I've watched a lot of movies surrounding the WWII era, most of them the European theatre, and loved them and touched by them. The Pianist, the Black Book (dutch), the Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, the Inglorious Basterds, they're among my favorites and beat most other war movies in Vietnam, or the middle east. It's just so much emotion in WWII movies.

Anyhow, above all those movies, my absolute favorite is definitely the HBO mini series "Band of Brothers", which follows a company of paratroopers, the story of each of the main soldier is just so intense and personal that everybody just has to fall in love with it. It's rated 9.4 in imdb.com I think.

It's a bit late to be obsessed by this, since the mini-series already came out since 2002, and I have to admit I watched this after Pacific came out. Pacific was good, but after watching BoB, it doesn't even come close.

So obsessed I am, I started reading a thick biography of the BoB's E company commander, Major Dick Winters -portrayed by brit actor Damien Lewis, the funny detective from TV series Life -, who is probably the most awesome leader whose story I have ever read. Then I finished reading Sgt. Don Malarkey's -played by Scott Grimes, very well imo- biography as well, so heartbreaking it made my eyes teary a couple of time, how he lost his bestfriend ever in the war and how he came to terms with that. And now I have another Dick Winters' bio, in a different perspective ready to be 'jumped'.

And now I'm starting to panic because when I'm done with this book, I don't have anything else in terms of BoB. It's not easy to find these kinds of book in Indo, I had to order them from Amazon when a friend of mine was going to the US and asked her to bring them home for me. And after this what do I do? Good thing I found the original Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose on the kinokuniya bookweb Singapore, I'm gonna make sure my sister pick that up for me.

Now with some time to kill, bf and I started watching a new HBO miniseries "Generation Kill", also true stories following the marines in Kuwait and around. Watching this one, all that come to my head is, what a boring war, not worth fighting, not bloody, what a big joke with the marines catfighting racially with each other, about them being pissed cuz little kids called them Army instead of Marines (duh not many civillians know the difference), about how they pampered questions to their ranking Lieutenant asking if it's true that J.Lo's dead. WHO THE FUCK cares?? How NOT band of brothers they are, even though they're on the same platoon! And what would Winters or Malarkey think if they see this series. Seriously. What a joke, what a disappointment. (I think I'd rather go to sleep soon)

I think I set my level too high, it's gonna be hard to like other war movies from now on. I don't think anything can top BoB (sigh).
Sent from AguMa's BB

No comments:

Post a Comment